In Tarrytown, New York, Lyndhurst, the former estate of Jay Gould (and the setting for two Dark Shadows movies), has a lovely rose garden that is maintained by the Garden Club of Irvington-on-Hudson. A look at some of the 500 roses that grow in this unusually designed garden, now owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The rose garden is the pride and joy of the Garden Club of Irvington-on-Hudson, who have been taking care of the rose garden since 1968. The roses were originally planted in the early 1900s, during Helen Gould Sheperd's ownership of Lyndhurst (Gould Sheperd was the oldest daugher of Jay and Helen Gould) and the garden focused on pink climbing roses. After Sheperd's death, the estate passed to her younger sister, the Duchess of Talleyrand-Perigord (née Anna Gould). Through World War II, the garden began to decline and when the estate was left to the National Trust after the death of the Dutchess in 1961, there were only a few roses left.
All of the text and information about the roses is from the garden club's master list of roses:
Left: 'New Dawn'Large-flowered climber to 12 to 15 feet. Dreer, U.S. 1930. Pale pink flowers of moderate fragrance up to 35 petals, medium to large, very double, borne mostly solitary in small clusters. Light repeat. It has glossy dark green foliage and is constantly putting out new growth. It holds the first rose patent ever issued in the U.S.