Owner and Designer - Karen Robertson Collection
Areas of Specialty
- Product Design
- Marine Life and Nature Wall Art and Accessories.
Designer Q&A with Karen
What is your design philosophy?
- I want my designs to bring you to another place. In my artwork, I bring the outdoors into the interior space and an interior’s elegance to the outside.
- I do simple things that are cost-effective since they come from nature’s own magnificence.
- I also believe a space should be edited with seasonal changes more often than four times a year.
- I aim for user-centered design guided by the likes, needs and constraints of the end-user.
What led you to this career?
Antiques and natural history
What has been your favorite project and why?
My tent on Buzzard’s Bay used during the summer months as my design studio.
Tell us about your most challenging project.
I decorated the lobby and hallways of a coastal resort spa with twenty-four pieces of my artwork using framed sea fans and sliced shells, plus several large fabricated turtle shells. The wall coverings varied from rich-toned wood panels to textured wall paper, which made for interesting and unusual background silhouettes for my art, since I use a double-glass framing method that shows the walls through the art. Wall placement and position also became a challenge since this was a large commercial property. I had to work around fire alarm boxes, fire extinguishers, power outage lights, and light switches.
What is your design process?
Concept, drawing, then execution. I keep a sketchpad bedside, since my product designs and ideas often come in the middle of the night.
KAREN ROBERTSON COLLECTION
P.O. Box 3345
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32004
STUDIO: 2010 Palmetto Point Drive
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082